Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer

Pet Health Certificates

Necessary for traveling across state lines.

We’re happy to assist you with our currently active clients health certificate for travel domestically. We apologize, but we do not currently provide international travel services for destinations other than Canada and Mexico.

For foreign destinations other than Canada or Mexico, we highly recommend you contact a professional pet export service and consult with the USDA pet export office.  

Start planning at least two months for domestic travel. If rabies titers are required, i.e. Hawaii, etc, it is likely that you may need more time for planning and testing. Please check the requirements for both interstate and international travel at

What do I need to do to make travel plans for my pet?

If you’re traveling by car, you should carry your pet’s vaccine history, their most current rabies certificate, and a veterinarian-issued pet health certificate that includes information about their most recent wellness exam.

If you’re planning to fly, research the specific airline you plan to use. Some airlines have their requirements while others defer to those issued by the destination state.

Important questions to ask your airline might include:

  • What are your pet travel policies?
  • Do you offer fleet cargo space for large pets? Will this affect which flights I can book?
  • Are small pets allowed in the cabin area?
  • Do you have specific pet carrier requirements?
  • What are your pick-up and drop-off policies for pets?
  • How do you handle layovers when there are pets on board? 

*Our veterinarians can provide health certificates for pets traveling between states. For international travel, you must obtain a pet certificate through a USDA-certified veterinarian.

Visit the International Animal Export Regulations page on the USDA website for the most recent information about your destination and/or contact the Area Veterinarian-in-Charge directly:

Area Veterinarian-in-Charge
1550 Irving Street, STE 100 
Tumwater, WA 98512 
Voice: (360) 753-9430
Fax: (360) 753-9585

When you schedule your appointment, please let us know where and when you’re planning to travel, so we can properly address your needs. 

Interested in additional information? Check out this USDA resource.

Call us at (206) 932-3308 or request an appointment online for your pet's health certificate.

Pet Health Certificates 

West Seattle Animal Hospital